Wednesday 10 January 2007

intro

Less than 12 months ago I packed my rucksack and travelled around Costa Rica for three weeks in a vein attempt to cure a bad case of itchy feet. Unbeknown to me the travel bug was incurable and the trip fed my appetite for more!

Lying on a beach in Tamarindo on the Pacific Coast, engrossed in Ellen MacArthers autobiography, I had my first meeting with "Bobby". Considering Ellen is my inspiration as one best yacht women in the UK, it took more than a typical guy to distract me. Yes I know, prior to this I had never even sailed as far as the Isle of Wight, but hey, any woman who climbs a mast in freak weather conditions deserves attention. Never know, that could be me in a few months….probably waving a rescue beacon!

Bobby, the blonde surfer from San Diego with the killer chat up line of "That’s my boat over there & I'm sailing round the world", immediately caught my eye. Brings a whole new meaning to 'made the earth move' (except we were on the sea!!!).

I spent the rest of my holiday sailing down the Pacific Coast aboard Bobby's boat, Barraveigh a 41 foot Jeanneau. Having returned home and with my tan fading, I promptly rejoined him a few months later in Panama.

I'm packing my bags again, this time it’s a one way ticket, with the final destination and return date unknown! It’s going to be a challenge, & thats just trying to overcome the airlines weight restrictions! I’m sure the rest of the trip will be a breeze - who am I kidding! The trials and tribulations I have faced so far include; how many bikinis do I need and whether Bobby will see mascara as an essential item? Silly question, of course it is!!

I promise to send regular updates throughout my intrepid adventure from life aboard Barraveigh. Fingers crossed my supply of Cadbury’s will see me through the difficult times on the ocean but the challenges will only make the magical moments all the more breathtaking.
I’m ready to navigate my way through the steep learning curves (that’s for you Dad!) and attempt recipes for meals when I have no ingredients (Colin I need tips!)

For now its back to the packing…

No comments: