Tuesday 4 December 2007

I can't believe I did it!

Panama to NZ in 9 months, that’s 9000 odd nautical miles, 10800 statue/road miles for you land lovers! At an average of 5 knots it’s a lot of ocean & I can only think of 2 perfect passages, unfortunately they were some of the shortest ones.
For once I’m speechless! What an achievement, I can’t believe I’ve done it! A novice sailor (in truth, no prior sailing knowledge what so ever!) has sailed on a 41foot boat from Panama to New Zealand. Of course I couldn’t have done it without Bobby who had the boat & also knew how to sail – pretty crucial items! ; )

It’s been a roller coaster of a trip; with amazing experiences & memories, highs & lows & ups & downs. Despite the scary bits we made it with everything in one piece & together. Neither of us will pretend it was easy, even for the most rock solid of relationships this lifestyle pushes it to its limits as nothing else ever can, never mind a brand new relationship. He has been an amazing teacher & partner. Both he & this trip will always have a special place in my life.
I’m heading home to the UK for a holiday & to catch up on some much needed family time. Bobby will return to Fiji for alone time with Barraveigh (it’ll be back to being a boys boat in no time!) Before all that we have a few weeks to explore New Zealand by land! Bobby will also get corrective surgery on the broken finger that rehealed itself at a strange angle.

You will have to wait & see what 2008 holds for me but I still love the nomadic life & the adventures it brings so not ready to return home permanently just yet! I hope to catch up with as many of you as possible when I'm back. For those of you who I don’t know in person but have sent emails & messages full of support & enthusiasm a huge thank you. I really am amazed at how many of you have been following the adventure.

Hope to see you all here again in 2008!

Happy Christmas & a Happy New Year to you all.
Suzi x