Saturday 26 May 2007

we have arrived! we made it!

22 days & 23 hours. 3000 miles across the South Pacific in a 41 foot boat & I'm here safe & sound! We saw land as the dawn broke & the sun rose from the sea. Towering above sea level, was the mountainous island of Fatu Hiva. Both absorbed in our own thoughts & excitement for a few brief minutes but we still had work to do, sails to pull in, the engine to start (Bobby didn't tell me until we were anchored that he had just noticed that the transmission was leaking & wasn't sure we would make it into the bay!) & unsecuring the anchors which hadn't been used for 23 days! We have made it into the Bay of Virgins, anchored in over 100 feet of water, we are taking in our surroundings. It's impressive. Huge cliffs around the bay covered green green grass & trees. The water was clear & warm & felt good on my skin as I dived in for my first swim in over 3 weeks! We enjoyed our first breakfast at anchor, hot choc, coffee & freshly baked muffins never tasted so good! We praised Barraveigh for getting us here safely & are now wondering what we should do next!


Statistics:
Number of boats seen: 0
Number of fish caught: 0
Types of fish seen: 1 (flying fish)
Number of steps from bow to stern: 12
Amount of food Bobby can eat: unlimited & always hungry
Number of different card games played: 2
Books read: 6 including Savage seas (true story about a boat on the same trip attacked & sunk by whales!)
Fresh veg left: Tomato's, carrots, peppers, potatoes & onions
Number of eggs left: 2
Number of arguments: uncountable!! ; )

I cannot thank Bobby enough for getting all 3 of us (including Barraveigh) here in one piece. It's one hell of an accomplishment & I'm speechless at his commitment, knowledge & effort. It truly is something I never imagined I would do & I'm proud to have shared the longest crossing of his trip.