Thursday 8 March 2007

we are ready to go!

The long awaited anchor chain arrived on Tuesday. A day later than planned but hey it’s already 3 months late so what’s another 24 hours!! All 200 foot is in the locker! Hopefully Bobby has connected it. Wouldn’t be a great start to drop anchor & find we aren’t attached!

Barraveigh is now fully stocked with groceries & more importantly alcohol! We officially have more rum than water onboard! - don’t panic Mum, its only because we haven’t filled the water tanks yet! I lost count of the number of taxis we filled with groceries (& of course the all important toilet paper!!). I have worked hard storing all our goodies & keeping a log of where I have put everything. Bobby has worked hard modifying the boat, ensuring the crates I filled, are fastened down so they don’t move about in our calm seas – yes I’m still kidding myself that it’s going to be a calm, flat sail!!
The last of the shopping was completed yesterday at the market. Thoroughly regretted buying 3 pineapples, a watermelon, cabbages, potatoes etc. I had forgotten my personal bag carrier…Bobby was back on the boat! I stuggled to pick everything up! I think my arms have stretched after carrying them to the taxi & down the pier! If only there was a way to stretch my short legs! ; )

We spent a day scrubbing all the black soot & dirt off the outside of the boat. I cranked Bobby to the top of the mast with a pressurised water sprayer roped to his back, & he cleaned the mast on his way down! I couldn’t move far from the mast in case the rope slipped so it was fun trying to avoid the dirty water raining down on me!!
We were on course to leave today but the dock has run out of fuel so we are presently awaiting the next fuel delivery. Further bad luck this morning when Bobby discovered a problem with the oil pressure in the engine. A mechanic is on his way over to check it out & we are sat with our fingers crossed that it is something minor.

We are both feeling incredibly frustrated, but trying to hold onto what is slowly becoming a distant memory; sailing into a beautiful flat anchorage, diving off the boat & swimming in crystal clear water with palm trees on a beautiful sandy beach.
Positive thinking…we will be sailing out of here on Saturday!